Cleary Owl 20" 3-Speed Bike
The popular, lightweight Owl, now with 3 Speeds!
Fits: Best fit for riders with an inseam of 19" to 23"
Availability: Sold out.
As kids develop their riding skills, they want to go further, ride bigger hills and pedal faster. For that rider who's ready to shift, Cleary has developed the super light 3-Speed Owl.
The simple-to-use trigger shifter allows a single light action button press to shift the 3 gears, even when the bike’s not being pedaled. Internally geared hubs shift anywhere. Stationary at a stop sign? Shift gears. Half way up a hill? Click away.
Most 20” wheel kids bikes switch gears with a derailleur, but Cleary opted for an internal gear. Why? A derailleur on a 20" wheel bike sits precariously close to the ground. If your child drops her bike, leans it against a wall, rides it through too tight of a space, puts it drive-side down in the trunk or backpedals after a shift, the derailleur will likely bend or break. Kids are kids. They can be tough on stuff.
What will damage the internally geared drive train? Nothing we know of. It will offer a smooth transition through a wide gear range on every ride. The hubs are sealed, so they're also impervious to water and mud.
An amazingly simple, lightweight girls and boys' geared bike at just 21 lbs:
- Expert bike geometry centers weight between the rider’s hands and seat, which creates a stable, quick-handling bike
- Front and rear Tektro V-brakes brakes, grips and 19mm diameter handlebars designed specifically for little hands
- 3-Speed Sturmey Archer S-RF3 Internal Gear rear hub. Light alloy body, reliable and abusable. Riders shift when NOT pedaling.
- Gear range: 32 x 19T middle gear gear ratio with 25% gear reduction in lowest gear and 33% increase in top gear.
- Slim, junior race-style vegan leather saddle designed to maximize a rider’s range of motion while minimizing chafing and weight
- 5mm Allen skewer on front wheel
- Internal brake cable routing
- Water Bottle cage mounts on down tube
- Three-piece crank and square taper bottom bracket
- Reinforced steel fork
- Your child will ride the Owl on trails, to school, all over the bike park and probably sleep with it in his room. (Sorry about that!)
- Owls accept knobby mountain bike tires up to 2.125" for extreme off-road use
Cleary spent a lot of time figuring out how to put gears on an Owl. In keeping with the rest of the line, the goal was to create the geared Owl to be smooth and maintenance free, with a wide range.