Almost Perfect Cleary Owl 20" 3-Speed Bike
The popular, lightweight Owl, now with 3 Speeds!
Fits: Best fit for riders with an inseam of 19" to 23". A rider with a 21" inseam will sit on the Owl with their bottom on the saddle, flat footed on the ground with the seat at its lowest position. At that same saddle height, riders with 19” inseam will happily sit with only the balls of their feet on the ground. As long as a child has an inseam of 19”, their arms and torso are long enough so they can reach the handlebars comfortably.
Why we Love this Bike
As kids develop their riding skills, they want to go further, ride bigger hills and pedal faster. For that rider who's ready to shift, Cleary has developed the super light 3-Speed Owl.
The simple-to-use trigger shifter allows a single light action button press to shift the 3 gears, even when the bike’s not being pedaled. Internally geared hubs shift anywhere. Stationary at a stop sign? Shift gears. Half way up a hill? Click away.
Most 20” wheel kids bikes switch gears with a derailleur, but Cleary opted for an internal gear. Why? A derailleur on a 20" wheel bike sits precariously close to the ground. If your child drops her bike, leans it against a wall, rides it through too tight of a space, puts it drive-side down in the trunk or backpedals after a shift, the derailleur will likely bend or break. Kids are kids. They can be tough on stuff.
What will damage the internally geared drive train? Nothing we know of. It will offer a smooth transition through a wide gear range on every ride. The hubs are sealed, so they're also impervious to water and mud. The bike will shift gears smoothly with no maintenance for thousands of miles - regardless of how many times it gets dropped or crashed.
An amazingly simple, lightweight girls and boys' geared bike at just 21 lbs:
- Expert bike geometry centers weight between the rider’s hands and seat, which creates a stable, quick-handling bike
- Front and rear Tektro V-brakes brakes, grips and 19mm diameter handlebars designed specifically for little hands
- 3-Speed Sturmey Archer S-RF3 Internal Gear rear hub. Light alloy body, reliable and abusable. Riders shift when NOT pedaling.
- Gear range: 32 x 19T middle gear gear ratio with 25% gear reduction in lowest gear and 33% increase in top gear.
- Slim, junior race-style vegan leather saddle designed to maximize a rider’s range of motion while minimizing chafing and weight
- 5mm Allen skewer on front wheel
- Internal brake cable routing
- Water Bottle cage mounts on down tube
- Three-piece crank and square taper bottom bracket
- Reinforced steel fork
- Your child will ride the Owl on trails, to school, all over the bike park and probably sleep with it in his room. (Sorry about that!)
- Owls accept knobby mountain bike tires up to 2.125" for extreme off-road use
Cleary spent a lot of time figuring out how to put gears on an Owl. In keeping with the rest of the line, the goal was to create the geared Owl to be smooth and maintenance free, with a wide range.
|Frameset||Lightweight 1020 alloy steel frame and fork|
|Headset||FSA sealed 1” headset|
|Stem||50mm alloy 1" w/25.4mm clamp|
|Handle Bars||520mm /20.5” wide alloy handlebar w/ 35mm rise, for 19mm grips|
|Seat||Vegan leather saddle|
|Seatpost||25.4mm x 250mm alloy seatpost|
|Brakes||Tektro junior V-brakes and brake levers|
|Shifter||Sturmey Archer DLS30 Trigger shifter|
|Cranks||127mm alloy 3 piece cranks|
|Chain Ring||32 tooth|
|Bottom Bracket||FSA sealed bearing|
|Pedals||VP junior pedals 9/16"|
|Freewheel||19T with hub|
|Wheels||Alloy front hub with Allen style QR, Sturmey Archer S-RF3 3 speed internal gear hub and 19 tooth sprocket. Allen style QR, Alex rims with stainless spokes and Kenda 20 x 1.9” all terrain tires and Schrader valve tubes.|